Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Prodigal Son



I've been reading the book by Henri Nouwen called: The Return of the Prodigal Son. The Father loved both the younger and older son equally and unconditionally. His love was not dependent on their behavior. Somedays I act like the younger son and search for happiness someplace other than my Father's house. Somedays I'm the older self-righteous son who follows all the rules and expects special attention because of that. But its not about me at all. Obviously, I need to shed this schizophrenic response to my redemption and get it together. But if I do or don't, God still loves me and would "kill the fatted calf" for me. He celebrates me - whether it be upon my repentence of sin and reconciliation or on a day of pure obedience and self denial. God loves me completely.

Somedays I can receive that love with certainty and it fills me to the marrow with confidence and praise. But other days my schizophrenic spirituality continues and the Father's love for me is just too much to believe more or less accept.

Thank you Lord for giving us the story of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15: 11-32. Thank you Lord for Henri Nouwen's book on the topic. Thank you God for Rembrandt's painting called Return of the Prodigal Son. Thank you for giving us all these opportunities to get the message about your unconditional love. It's just another example of your generosity and your relentless attempts to offer us your grace.

Praise and thanks to You, my Lord and my God!

No comments:

Post a Comment