Monday, May 15, 2006

A study of the Gospel of John

Part 1
John 14:15 “If you love me…”
1. Humans sometimes say, “if you love me you would just do this one thing for me…or ..you would understand me better…or … you would just know what I need.
What have you ever said to someone? Or, consider the reverse. What demand has been said to you? Jesus says: “If you love me you will obey.” Pure love doesn’t usually put conditions on the recipient. But this time Jesus does. Vs 21 says, “Whoever obeys my command is the one who loves me.

What do you think was the Father’s command to the Son? ( see John 14: 31) What is God’s command to you?

2. “If you love me and obey my Father, I will love you and we will make our home in you.”

“Obedience is an essential ingredient in intimacy with God and the key to having a receptive heart. Either we take Christ’s word to heart and we change or we listen but disregard them. To disregard the voice of God is worse than not listening at all, especially if we say we love him.”
Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.

“Obligation asks us to pour a glass of milk but love tells us to add a little chocolate.”
Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.

Have you disregarded the voice of God? Have you ignored any of his commands to you? Have you ever added a little chocolate to your obligation? Please give an example if you can.

Given the above definition, do you love God?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 2
John 17: 4 “I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.”

1. Jesus confidently makes the above statement to his Father. In order for you to be able to make that statement, you need to know about the work the Father is asking you to do.
If God handed you a TO DO list, what would be on it? Please be as specific as you can.

2. How will you know when you’ve completed God’s work? Will God add/subtract from your TO DO list?

3. What accomplished tasks have you checked off?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 3
Jesus prays for us to his Father in Chapter 17. Please read that prayer in verses 6 to 26.
Why would the one thing Jesus prayed for us be unity? Vs 21
In vs 11 Jesus says, “Holy Father, protect them.” How has the Father protected you?
Write this prayer from Jesus’ perspective for you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment